Saturday, April 9, 2011

Facebook Fast Unofficial Last Day

I started Sunday night, I was going to do this til Wednesday night for Elder Led Prayer at my church. I thought why not do it longer? I went on Facebook Friday to email someone about mission fundraising and my thought before this was "just one message, then get off don't look at anything, don't post anything" Surely, when I sent that message I clicked on my 19 notifications and 3 messages to find: I'm not the center of the world. Most of them were invites to events, and none asking how I've been for the past week. Well, if that wasn't a humbling experience. Nothing is about me, I'm not as awesome as I think I am. Just like I learned my first semester of college that back home people like my family and school still do stuff without me, still glorify God and not me. When I skimmed the smorgasbord of statuses I easily jumped back into peoples lives (without them really noticing) and then I asked myself what is the point of Facebook everyday, 20 times a day to me now? Compared to God, nothing. I know that Question and Answer is far more easier said than done, because I still have idols in my heart--that I thought were gone, I wish were gone, I have to pray about daily. But, that's just it. Daily-we know daily according to us, we want to do in a day, daily in our mundane. But, does any of that consist of daily: as in the cross? Daily as in our need for Him? Daily as in His new mercies? Daily as in how much we give glory to where it's not deserved or belonged? I've come to believe that in my foolishness of idolatry; God is always there. No matter how far I run, no matter how much I beat myself up over it, no matter how many times I repent. God is so much bigger, so solid, and so unfailing. The Gospel is beyond all of my shortcomings.

No comments:

Post a Comment